Manager – Database Administrator
Manager - Database Administrator
Department : Database Administration
Qualification : -
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
A Database Administrator is responsible for the performance, integrity and security of a database. Also involved in the planning and development of the database as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users
- Identifies database requirements by interviewing customers; analyzing department applications, programming, and operations; evaluating existing systems and designing proposed systems.
- Recommends solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-up, and recovery specifications.
- Installs revised or new systems by proposing specifications and flowcharts; recommending optimum access techniques; coordinating installation requirements.
- Maintains database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters; implementing new releases; completing maintenance requirements; evaluating computer operating systems and hardware products.
- Perform complex technical, analytical and professional services involving program/member services, evaluation, database-driven Web sites, office operations.
- Prepares users by conducting training; providing information; resolving problems.
- Provides information by answering questions and requests.
- Supports database functions by designing and coding utilities.
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Propose optimal database strategies to ensure scalability and availability.
- Working closely with IT project managers, database programmers and multimedia programmers;
- Communicating regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security;
- Ensuring that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly
- Monitor database performance and recommend improvements for operational efficiency.
- Resolve any database issues in accurate and timely fashion.
- Monitor databases regularly to check for any errors such as existing locks and failed updates.
- Oversee utilization of data and log files.
TECHNICAL / FUNCTIONAL SKILLS REQUIRED
Understanding of structured query language (SQL), Knowledge of 'relational database management systems' (RDBMS), 'object oriented database management systems' (OODBMS) and XML database management systems, Experience with database software/web applications, Up-to-date knowledge of technology and the Data Protection Act
SOFT SKILLS REQUIRED:
Database Performance Tuning, Database Security, Promoting Process Improvement, Problem Solving, Presenting Technical Information, Quality Focus, Database Management, Data Maintenance, Operating Systems, Attention to Detail, Information Security Policies